Víctor Martínez Patón
Criminal Law Professor at the International University of La Rioja
Academic with the Spanish Royal Academy for Case Law and Legislation
Academic with the Spanish Royal Academy for Case Law in Asturias.
I. Current professional activity
- Criminal Law Professor at the International University of La Rioja (2017-).
- Manager of the web repository Criminal liability of legal entities.
- Academic with the Spanish Royal Academy for Case Law and Legislation (2018-).
- Academic with the Royal Academy for Case Law in Asturias, Spain. (2019-).
- Associated researcher with the Gustavo Bueno Foundation.
- President of the Centre for Investigation on the History and Statistics of football in Spain.
- International doctoral degree in Law at the Autonomous University of Madrid (2016).
- European doctoral degree in Law and Criminology at the University of París Nanterre (2016).
- Both degrees obtained as part of a Joint-PhD programme with the thesis Historical analysis of corporale criminal liability, supervised by Miguel Bajo and Elisabeth Fortis.
- Awarded the maximum grade of: très honorable avec félicitations, proposition de prix national de thèse and proposition de subvention pour la publication.
- Student at the École Normale Supérieure de París.
- Undergraduate degree on Advanced Latin Philology Studies (2005).
- First prize in research papers during the academic year 2005-2006, awarded by the Latin Studies Society.
- Undergraduate degree in Law from the Autonomous University of Maddrid (UAM) (2010).
- Undergraduate degree in Classical Philology from the Autonomous University of Madrid (2003).
III. Professional experience
- Number 88.188 with the Madrid Bar Association.
- Number 6.614 with the Oviedo Bar Association.
- Lawyer at the Firm Patón & Asociados, July 2010. Manager of the Criminal Law Area since January2013.
- Lawyer at Corporate Defense (Oct. 2016 – July 2018).
- Estate partitioner lawyer with the ICAM (2016).
IV. Main Legal Publications
- Monograph: On the societas delinquere non potest doctrine (ed. BdeF, Buenos Aires, 2019).
- Writer of twenty biographies in the Spanish Biographical Dictionary published by the Spanish Royal History Academy (2008).
- “Criminal Liability of Legal Entities in Roman Law” (Revista General de Derecho Romano, nº 30, 2018).
- “On the Idea of Liability”, published in El Catoblepas, nº 150, 2014, p. 3.
- Reviewed the following works
- José Manuel Maza Martín: Delincuencia electoral y responsabilidad penal de los partidos políticos (ed. Wolters Kluwer, Madrid, 2018).
- Carlos Gómez-Jara Díez: El delito de manipulación de mercado (ed. Tirant lo Blanch, Valencia, 2017).
- Carlos Gómez-Jara Díez: Garantismo penal europeo (ed. Iustel, Madrid, 2017).
V. Courses and conferences
- “Media environment in sports”, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija, 2019-20 (20 hour course on Criminal Sports Law).
- “Criminal liability of banks, political parties, and public legal entities”, Bar Association of Oviedo, 7 November 2019.
- “Historical analysis of the criminal liability of legal entities”, Los Hemisferios University (Quito, Ecuador), January 2019.
- ” Media environment in sports”, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija, 2018-19 (20 hour course on Criminal Sports Law).
- “Historical analysis of the principle societas delinquere non potest”, Bar Association of Oviedo, 25 November 2016.
- “Societas delinquere non potest”, University of La Rioja, 18 July 2016.
- “Criminal liability of groups”, Oviedo, Gustavo Bueno Foundation, 26 May 2014.
- “Criminal liability of legal entities”, Oviedo, Gustavo Bueno Foundation, 27 April 2015.
- “Crimes committed by specific positions and the criminal liability of legal entities in the Spanish Criminal Code’s new reform”, Ciudad Real, Bar Association of Ciudad Real, 24 June 2015.
- “Construction and destruction of ideas”, I Jornadas Nódulo Materialista en Talavera de la Reina, Centro Asociado de Talavera-UNED (12-13 November 2013). Presentation:” Etymology, concepts and ideas.”
- “Current philosophical issues regarding the language of words”, 17th Philosophy encounters, Gustavo Bueno Foundation (22-23 March 2013). Presentation: “A history of words and etymology: conceptual and methodology aspects”. Published in El Catoblepas, 137, 2013, p. 3.
VI. Research, teaching, and training
- Freie Universität Berlin (August 2019, Berlin, Germany).
- Haute École de la Province de Liège (February 2019, Liège, Belgium).
- Several coursea at the Europäische Rechtsakademie (2011-2019, Tréveris, Germany).
- Université Paris-Ouest Nanterre-La Défense (January – May 2014, Paris, Francia).
- Barreau de Paris (October-November 2011, Paris, Francia).
- Académie de Droit International de La Haye (July-August 2011, The Hague, Netherlands).
- American University of Bulgaria (August 2010, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria).
- Scuola Normale Superiore (April 2005, Pisa, Italy).
- École Normale Supérieure (academic year 2004-2005, Paris, Francia).
- French (C2)
- Classical Latin and Greek: reading comprehension
- Intern at the Autonomous University of Madrid (2005), the Bar Association of Madrid (2011), Fair Trials International (2012) and at the Europäische Rechtsakademie (2012-2019).
- Ninth best pre-university student in Spain (1999, Universidad Antonio de Nebrija).
- Over 50 articles of the history of football published in several journals: Official Magazine of the Royal Spanish Football Federation, the hournal Marca, etc.
- Founder of the magazine Cuadernos de Fútbol.
- Editor of Félix Martialay’s complete works.